McGonagill House offers one of largest, if not the largest, homes available in Marathon; two of the 3 beds are kings. Please enjoy our historic 3BR/2B family home in Marathon, Gateway to the Big Bend. Our home was built in the 1940's by the owner's local ranching family, JA & Maggie McGonagill and is still owned by their descendants. Includes fully furnished kitchen and two dining areas. Washer/Dryer. Large living area with TV and small DVD library. Two idyllic porches for your morning coffee.
The entire home and large yard.
Interaction with guests
I am always available by phone and have others who will fill in for me if I am out of town.
Other things to note
Access is by key only and I typically meet guests at our home. I give a quick tour, short history, answer questions about Marathon and the surrounding area, and give guests a key.
IMPORTANT: Local Brewster County tax (7%) is not collected by Airbnb and will be collected upon guest arrival.
Exhibit A: Rental Rules
1. Parties/events are at the owner's discretion. Events such as outdoor rehearsal dinners or bridal showers are welcome as long as the event is limited to 40 attendees, indoor events are limited to 20 attendees. There is a $50 event fee for each event.
2. Smoking is NOT allowed indoors; if it is evident that smoking has occurred indoors, the GUEST agrees to pay a $500 fine/additional cleaning fee. 3. Smoking is allowed outside but please be advised to use extreme caution. All of Texas, including the Marathon Basin has experienced the devastating effects of wildfires.
4. People other than those in the Guest party may not stay overnight in the property. Any other person in the property is the sole responsibility of Guest.
5. The McGonagill House is privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The Homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
6. The upstairs, basement, and all stairs leading to those locations are off limits and no GUEST should attempt to gain access to those locations.
7. Water and Sewer: The McGonagill house is supplied by water from the City of Marathon; this water system has passed all standards for the state of Texas. Please note that part of the yard is on a well system and the water from outside faucets should not be considered potable. The sewage system is connected to the city sewage system and is in good working order; however, it will clog up if improper material is flushed. No feminine products should be flushed at any time; please use the trash receptacles in the bathrooms. If it is found that materials have been flushed and clog the sewage system, the GUEST will be charged damages equal to the plumbing bill + 25%.
8. GUEST will keep the property and all furnishings in good order.
9. Only use appliances for their intended uses.
10. As a rule, pets are not allowed. Unconditional exception applies for guide dogs (we realize that they are not pets) and other conditional exceptions are at the manager’s discretion. If it is apparent that pets have stayed at McGonagill House without the manager's approval, a fee of $25/day will be assessed, plus an additional $100 pet cleaning fee, if extra cleaning is necessary.
11. Parking is limited to 6 (six) vehicle(s). Vehicles are to be parked in the driveway or on the adjacent land only. Parking on the road, Hwy 81, is not permitted. Any illegally parked cars are subject to towing; applicable fines/towing fees are the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner.
12. Housekeeping: There is no daily housekeeping service. While linens and bath towels are included in the unit, daily maid service is not included in the rental rate. We do not permit towels or linens to be taken from our home. There are at least two bath towels, two hand towels, and two face clothes available per person.
13. Storms: Refunds of 100% will be given in the event that authorities issue a mandatory evacuation order that includes the McGonagill House.
14. The GUEST is liable for any damages, beyond normal wear and tear, to the property or theft of furnishings, including, but not limited to linens, towels, and household furnishings, that occur during the time the GUEST is staying at the McGonagill House. The premises are videotaped prior to guest’s arrival; any missing items will be billed to the GUEST. The GUEST is liable for the actual cost of repairs to the property + 25% and/or the replacement cost (or retail sale price of antiques) of damaged, lost, or misplaced furniture or other household furnishings +25%. This includes damages or theft incurred by guests of the GUEST.
15. If the GUEST leaves McGonagill House with excessive trash, mud, or dirt in the house or on the property, or any other circumstance that requires extra cleanup, the GUEST agrees to pay for the actual cost of the cleanup + 25%.
16 . There is a $15 charge per key for lost keys.
17. Please do not use guest towels to clean shoes or other items. There are rags in the kitchen drawers or in the laundry room for that purpose.
18. Please report any items that are broken or damaged through normal wear and tear. (No charges or fees are incurred for normal wear and tear).
19. Firearms and other weapons of any type are strictly forbidden. If Guest discharges a firearm or brandishes a weapon in a manner to endanger others, Guest will be escorted off the property and all payments will be forfeited.
20. When full, empty the trash cans and tie trash bags; place trash bags in the trash bins in the backyard.
1. Hang all wet towels or wash cloths so they may dry.
2. Remove coffee grounds from the coffee maker.
3. Leave the beds unmade.
4. Run the dishwasher if necessary.
5. Make sure the front doors are locked and any windows that were opened are closed and locked.
6. When you leave, unless other arrangements are made, please leave the keys on the kitchen table and exit through the backdoor. Lock the backdoor with the turn lock.
Thank you from the Groth/McGonagill family…safe travels!