Fabulous porch with swing, glider and room to feed the whole family while watching hummingbirds at your feeder. One of a kind woodwork. 1326 sf of indoor living space. Central AC/heat. Walking distance to Coronado National Forest hiking trails.
In 1990 my grandparents built the current home which they nicknamed Hummingbird Hill. It sits at a high spot in the canyon which lends itself to beautiful mountain views, sunsets and hummingbird watching. It was their dream retirement home. The home itself was custom built by Richard Lansky. You won't believe the detailed woodworking. Richard still lives in the canyon and helps me with maintenance. I have recently inherited it and can't bear to part with it - not only because of the memories but also because of the unique building and location. My husband and I are not able to move to the canyon right now as we have jobs out of state, but hope it can become our dream retirement home as well. The home is surrounded by the Coronado National Forest. Property is walking distance to trailheads, picnic areas and favorite birdwatching spots.
Freestanding cabin on 1 acre. 1326 sf of indoor living space. Central AC/heat. Full kitchen, laundry in basement.
Interaction with guests
I do not live onsite. I do have friends in the canyon that help out with maintenance if there's any trouble during your stay.
Other things to note
Please note: There is no TV reception (we do have a dvd player). Metered Satellite Internet is provided (but not unlimited). This is a remote property. Your cell phone will have limited connectivity in the canyon (Verizon works best). There is a landline in the cabin. While there are two gift stores in the canyon, the next closest businesses are 15 miles away. I recommend you get gas and stop at the grocery store before you drive into the canyon. Don't forget to buy a bag of sugar to make syrup to feed the hummingbirds!
Cleaning & Linen Service Policy:
The home is provided with pillows, linens, blankets, towels, kitchen towels, comforters, hand towels & wash cloths including extras located in closets. A cleaning service to clean the house and linens on your departure is included in your rental fee. There is no daily maid service. You are responsible that all debris, rubbish and discards are placed in plastic bags and transferred to the large trashcans in the garage and soiled dishes and cooking utensils are placed in the dishwasher and cleaned. NEVER LEAVE TRASH OUTSIDE THE HOUSE AS IT WILL ATTRACT BEARS. Any unused beds will be left as found. Leave used beds unmade and used towels on the bathroom floor or laundry room.
The home is provided with a starter set of toilet paper, Kleenex and paper towels. There is also shampoo & conditioner in the bathrooms, laundry detergent in the laundry room and numerous extras such as popcorn, snacks, charcoal & starter fluid, etc. Owners do not guarantee that these extra items will always be available and guests should bring their own paper goods, toiletries, & laundry detergent, etc.
Sales & Hotel Tax Policy:
The rate listed above includes Arizona Transaction Privilege Tax (if applicable).
1) CLOSURE OF NATIONAL FOREST SERVICE LAND: On rare occasion, the National Forest Service has closed Madera Canyon Recreation Area. They will, however, still allow private property access using Coronado National Forest roads. However, you will not be allowed to be on National Forest Service land for any other reason during your stay. Many people actually enjoy these stays more as the canyon is at its quietest. However, in this case, we will give you the option to cancel your reservation for a full refund. Furthermore, if you decide to stay, it will be at your own risk.
2) CONDITION OF PROPERTY: Owners have, to the best of their ability, given an accurate description of the property and its condition. Guest understands that it is considered as reserved "sight unseen." Our cleaning staff will have cleaned it before your occupancy. All electrical, plumbing and appliances should be in working order. The failures of operation of certain extra amenities, such as TVs or WiFi or the closure or restriction of Forest Service lands except as stipulated above are not a basis for any refund. When you arrive, if you find that the house is in need of repair or has not been cleaned to normal standards please notify the Richard or Pecos Lansky at the Madera Kubo immediately. We will do our best to have tradesmen attend to the problems but may not be able to fix everything over holidays and weekends.
3) CLEANING & REPAIRS: Initial cleaning fee is included in the total rent. Please note that cleaning does not include dishes, cooking utensils, BBQ's or the fireplace. If additional cleaning is required after you leave, it will be charged to you. Guest agrees to keep house, furniture and furnishings in good order, to keep walks, patios swept and clean and free of debris. Removing, adding or changing furniture without Owner’s written approval shall be deemed a material breach of this Rental Agreement, and is strictly prohibited.
Guest is responsible for cost of replacement of any damage to furniture or premises and replacement of missing items whether intentional, accidental or due to Renter negligence.
4) INTERNET AND TELEPHONE SERVICE: Please be aware that the use of WiFi and Telephone is not guaranteed. The owner has provided free metered WiFi service as an amenity. WiFi other than email and web browsing is limited to 5 GB usage per month. If the term of this contract is for less than one month, it is possible that high speed internet will not be available as the allowance may have been used by a previous guest. The owner has also provided telephone service with unlimited domestic long distance. Both internet and telephone service are susceptible to outages during storms.
5) ENTRY OF PREMISES: With Guest’s permission, which is hereby given, Owner or Owner’s representative may enter the premises during reasonable daylight hours without securing prior permission from Guest, but shall give Guest notice of such entry immediately prior if possible and immediately thereafter. For inventory and maintenance purposes a property management employee of the Owner may need to enter the premises. The same permission procedure applies as above. In any emergency, Owner or Owner’s servicing agents may enter the premises at any time without permission of Guest for the purposes of making repairs to alleviate such emergency. If Guest abandons or vacates premises, Owner may, at his option, terminate this agreement, re-enter the premises and remove all Guest's property.
6) ASSUMPTION OF RISK: Renter understands that this house is located adjacent to a National Forest. Wildlife including bears, mountain lions and venomous snakes may be found on property. Furthermore, paths are steep in areas and there is a risk of falling. Accordingly, renters use the property and National Forest at their own risk and the owner assume no responsibility for accident or injury. No one should hike alone. Renters will hold the Owners harmless from any and all bodily injury and/or property damage incurred on the property arising out of Renters' negligent acts or omissions. See disclaimer below.
7) ROAD CONDITION: Susie Lode Lane and our driveway have several rocky or dirt sections. Vehicles with a high clearance will find it easy to pass. Small vehicles may have to take it slower. If snow is expected, we recommend a 4WD vehicle as there may be significant delay in clearing the roads. We recommend arriving during daylight hours the first time in. Renters will hold the Owners harmless from any and all bodily injury and/or property damage incurred due to road conditions.
8) CHILD PROOFING: Guest understands that no special efforts have been made to “childproof” this house, and accept the risk or harm to any children we allow on the property. These risks are not limited to, but include access to the decks and balconies, adjacent Forest Service properties, cleaning supplies in the house and plants on the property that might be poisonous if ingested. Please note that stairs cannot be easily blocked and some stairs have minimal or no railing. It is the owner’s opinion that this property is not appropriate for young or unsupervised children.
9) FURNITURE: All furniture must be returned to its original location on Guest's departure.
10) PERSONAL PROPERTY: Guest understands that any personal property of and used by Guest is not insured by Owner and Owner shall not be responsible for any lost, stolen or missing property of the Guest or property of Guest left after check out.
11) KEYS: Lost keys will incur replacement costs of $25.
12) MADERA CANYON RECREATION AREA CONDITION: Guest understands that Owner has no control over the condition of the Coronado National Forest and cannot be held liable for any changes to Coronado National Forest conditions or any closing as ordered by any official agency. The National Forest service places restrictions on activities on forest land from time to time. Most typically, fire bans during the months of May, June and into July. While Hummingbird Hill is private property, we ask that all our residents follow National Forest Service guidelines. Under moderate to high fire danger, that may mean no open fires or even no outdoor barbecue. Under extreme fire danger, we ask for absolutely no smoking in the canyon. Please check with the National Forest Service before you arrive.
13) NO PARTIES: This is not a party house. The Renter must be 25 years of age to book this Vacation Rental. Occupancy is limited to 4 guests unless prior approval is attained. Any guest staying one week or more must be listed on the rental contract. Any special occasions such as weddings, receptions, or family reunions must be disclosed at the time the reservation is made and is subject to Owner's advanced approval. Prom parties, fraternity or sorority parties and graduation parties are not allowed at any time. Adults cannot rent property on behalf of underage guests, no exception.
14) NON-SMOKING: This is a NON SMOKING vacation rental. Evidence of smoking, such as the smell of cigarette or cigar smoke inside the home by the cleaning crew is sufficient basis to charge the renter for smoke cleanup and removal from carpeting, AC ducts & filters and furniture. This type of clean up is expensive and Renter is Liable for the deep cleaning costs incurred. When the Coronado National Forest is under extreme fire danger, we ask for absolutely no smoking in the canyon.
15) SMALL PET FEE: Only pets under 25 lbs are allowed. Guest understands that pets must be on lead at all times when outside. There will be a $200 fee for deep cleaning after a pet. Owner assumes no liability for dangers the property or surrounding wildlife may pose to small animals.
16) MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY: is four adults. Children under the age of six are not recommended.
17) FIREPLACE USE: The fireplace is a wood burning stove. The fireplace should not be used from April 15-September 15 or when it would cause the AC to come on; the fireplace should never be used when fire danger according to the National Forest Service is moderate or above. While it is operational, no supplies are provided. Guest is expected to leave it clean ashes and debris.
18) PARKING: Parking on property is limited to three vehicles. Parking on National Forest Service property is only permitted if the proper parking pass is purchased. Parking on Susie Lode Lane is not permitted.
19) SUBLETTING: Guest is not authorized to let or sublet all or any part of the premises nor assign the lease or any interest in it without the prior written consent of the Owner.
20) CHECK-IN & CHECKOUT: Check-in is at 4:00 PM and checkout is 11:00 AM.
21) CHECK-OUT PROCEDURES: Renters will be provided with the lock box code in advance of check in. Renters are responsible to insure that the keys are placed back in lock boxes and the home is left locked with all trash in provided bins in the garage at the end of the rental period.