About this listing
This is a gorgeous, spacious New Mexican-style house located on a stunning, 22 acre ranch. Perched above a bend in the Chama River, the property features an old growth cottonwood grove ("bosque"), fruit trees, a grape arbor, and herb and flower gardens, with lovely views of the river, mountain and pasture. All a stone's throw to Plaza Blanca, incredible hikes, and quick access to Bode's General Store, the Abiquiu Inn and pueblo, Georgia O'Keefe's house, Abiquiu lake, Ghost Ranch and much more.
The house marries old New Mexico charm -- deep set windows, kiva fireplaces, antique and ethnic furniture, and original art work -- with modern comforts and conveniences throughout. The spacious main section of the house features three en-suite guest bedrooms, one with its own kiva fireplace, a large living room, also with a kiva fireplace, a large dining room, a master kitchen, a lovely three season sun room, and more. A second section of the house can be rented for an additional $145 per night. This section has two guest bedrooms, a large shared bathroom, and a sitting area with its own wood burning stove.
The garden area adjacent to the house includes a barbecue, fire pit, lawn furniture, and seasonal grape arbor, herb and flower gardens, and fruit trees.
The main section of the house easily and luxuriously accommodates 2 to 6 people. Up to 9 people can sleep in the main section when pullout sofa beds are employed. With the optional second section, the house luxuriously accommodates 10 people, and with the sofa beds, up to 13 people.
(Upon request, two king size beds can be converted to 4 single beds)
Guests have exclusive access to the spacious, main section of the house, and upon request, to the smaller, second section of the house. Renting the main section of the house includes use of the garden and lawn areas immediately adjacent to the house. Guests also have access to the property's river frontage, which can be gotten to by a path through the "bosque" (the old growth cotton wood grove). The barn, outbuildings, corrals, and pasture areas are not included with the house rental.
Interaction with guests
Our local friend, Christelle, will assist you with arrivals, departures and any other needs while you are at the house. We live out of state but are readily available through phone, email and text to help make your time at the ranch absolutely magical!
Other things to note
Pets are permitted with advance approval.
Parties and events, including wedding receptions and large gatherings, are also permitted with advance agreement. Depending on the size of the gathering, additional fees may apply.
The second, smaller section of the house may be occupied by caretakers if guests do not require both sections of the house. In such an event, the second section of the house will be entirely closed off from the main house. Guests have full and exclusive use of the main section of the house. If a guest does not require the second section, but also prefers to occupy the house without caretakers close by, arrangements can be made to maintain a vacancy in the second section of the house.
A horse, pony, and burro and two barn cats already live on the property. In addition, wildlife, including elk, many species of birds, coyotes, different kinds of snakes (including rattle snakes) and insects live in abundance in this part of the world. There is exceptional natural beauty to be found here, both on the property and in nearby areas, but exploring the outdoor areas here is best suited for people who are comfortable with and love nature in all its manifestations.
Guests are welcome to visit and play in the river from the property, however they do so at their own risk. Currents can be strong and we cannot vouch for the safety of playing in the river.
- Smoking is not permitted in the house.
- Pets require advance approval. Any pets that comes onto the property must be extremely well trained and safe toward animals on our property or neighboring properties.
- Access to barn, outbuildings, corrals, and pasture areas is not included with the house rental.
- Guest assumes all risk, and release hosts of all liability, for any injury that might result from contact, intentional or unintentional, with any animal on the property.
- Guests assume all risks, and release hosts of all liabilities, for injury or accidents that may occur while using any indoor or outdoor space located on the property.
- The river can have swift currents: swimming from the premises is conducted entirely at guests' personal risk. Guests hold hosts harmless for all use of or swimming in the Chama river from the property.
- The septic system does not tolerate a lot of toilet paper. Guest must place used toilet paper in trash cans beside toilet, except when doing so would be unhygienic.
- Trash should be placed in the large receptacle at the top of the drive way and put on the side of the road every Tuesday evening for Wednesday morning pick up.
Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a 50% refund. Cancel within 7 days of your trip and the reservation is non-refundable.
This host has 9 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
I live in Cambridge, MA with my husband, sons, dog and cat. I lived previously in Berkeley, CA, and long ago, in New York state. I have also lived for short stints in Mexico, Morocco, France and Togo (West Africa). I have traveled a fair amount; I love meeting people and learning new ways to do, look at, and be in the world.
About the home
When you stay in an Airbnb, you’re staying in someone’s home.