Unfortunately Russell's dissatisfaction appeared to be driven by an issue not related to the actual content of the review. I was surprised by the content of his review, as it was the first I'd heard on all counts. However I'll address the concerns he chose to publish for those that choose to read them.
I am licensed by the City of Chicago as a regulated airBNB, this license information is provided on each listing by law. On the subject of Fire Safety, the house has a centrally monitored fire system, when this was installed the old smoke alarms were removed. This goes well beyond any code requirements for a residential home which is owner occupied. With regards to individual heating units on the lower level, they are all fluid filled radiant heat and never exceed a temperature that would ignite anything, no more then the water filled radiators throughout the rest of the house. The claim that there are singe marks on the curtain is alarming, and upon inspection no dangerous condition was observed. On the subject of the unused machine with giant flexible pipes, it's a portable air conditioner to use during the summer. As the stay was in early spring, it obviously wasn't needed or plugged in. However to try to elevate it to a status worthy of note in the review as though it's some dangerous piece of alien tech seems a little extreme. With the bug complaint in mind, a pest management service comes on a monthly basis. Any bed bugs, millipedes, crickets, etc. are addressed. Rooms are fumigated on a schedule as well which would resolve any bed bug issues. This is the only proven way to address them. As a result, I thankfully have never had a single issue with bed bugs in the years I have been hosting. That said you may find other dead bugs, it's a 120 year old house and they do exist. The entire POTENTIAL for bed bugs seems to be an attemp to create an issue where there isn't one, much like the description of the air conditioner. With regards to dust, the rooms are vacuumed in between every turnover, horizontal surfaces wiped, and any outstanding issues that are noticed remedied. Additionally, a professional cleaning service spends a day at the house each week supplementing the daily staff which spends each afternoon here, 7 days a week doing laundry, dishes, etc. In total I spend over $2000 a month ($65/day) in cleaning services for the benefit of myself and those I host. If there is ever a concern with dust or even finding a hair during a stay, a quick note and it would be immediately addressed. On the subject of food sanitation, I have many guests from foreign countries that use the fridge, they use different spices and flavors which could account for the strange smell. As a side benefit I've gotten pretty good at identifying various ethnic cooking as my room is right above the kitchen. The fridges are cleaned weekly, but I don't catch every spill that a guest may fail to clean up right away, regardless I use them on a daily basis and clean whenever I see an issue. I also end up throwing out food that guests leave behind. If something is obviously bad like the bread when going through the pantry and fridges it is thrown out. To imply that a piece of mold observed on bread will create some kind of health crisis for a sealed bag of chips or soda pop on the other side of the room is ridiculous. Unfortunately the review hit the character limit at number 5, so I'll never know how many other issues were brought up. But for those that have read this far, hopefully I've helped address the concerns brought on by Russell.