The traditional Mud Hut for 3/4 people is set in the orchard of Boo Oya Nature Resort, which comprises 4 air-conditioned bungalows, a restaurant on the lake shore, 3 eco-cabanas and 4 double rooms in the wilderness. Activities an excursions.
Boo Oya Nature Resort is located in the North Central Province of Sri Lanka on the A9 highway between Kandy and Jaffna, 8 km south of Vavuniya.
It is set in a property of 8ha bordered by a lake along the road and the river Boo, which gave its name to the resort and winds its way through a dense, very old tropical forest of giant Kambuk trees. The river is fed by numerous freshwater springs and never dries up.
This lush tropical garden is rich in coconut, palm, bamboo and fruit trees - mango, papaya, jack fruit, wood apple, tamarind, jambo (rose apple) grown amidst wild grasses.
We also share this natural paradise with our animal friends - monkeys, kingfishers, egrets, butterflies, geckoes, lizards, deer, small translucent frogs, large numbers of wild peacocks, particularly in the winter during the mating season, as well as wintering storks and many other species. Help us to complete the list!
The resort comprises 4 air-conditioned bungalows and a two-storey restaurant on the lake shore as well as 3 eco-cabanas of different styles to the back of the property, in the wilderness by the river or in the orchard, including the Mud Hut.
The Mud Hut for 3 to 4 persons
The Mud Hut is set in the orchard and tropical garden with coconut, palm, bamboo and fruit trees - mango, papaya, jack fruit, tamarind, jambo (rose apple) - and flowering ibiscus and other trees.
The Mud Hut is a spacious traditional wattle-and-daub mud hut with cow-dung floors guaranteeing a pleasing refreshing feeling when walking bare feet. Tree trunks and cart wheels have been used to decorate the rooms and coconut shells for the taps and shower head in the bathroom.
This large hut can accommodate 3 to 4 people(URL HIDDEN)Open childrens’ bedroom for 1 or 2 children on the verandah(URL HIDDEN)Master bedroom with a UK king size bed and dressing tabl(URL HIDDEN)Spacious bathroom opening onto the orchard and flower garden.
A small 100m path through wild grass leads you to your private access to the river.
The restaurant is a two-storey building open to the lake and decorated with wood panelling.
The upper level lounge of the building provides space for artistic creations and discussions and hosts art work out of scrap material a wooden female figure and wall art work created out of a disused mirror. The lounge is also used for functions.
The lower level boasts an extension on an island reached by a bridge. The restaurant is open 7/7and serves traditional Sri Lankan breakfast and lunch buffets as well as Indian, Chinese, Sri Lankan and Western food à la carte meals.
ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
The Resort offers a number of activities:
- Resort-based activities - swimming, boating, fishing, walking, lakeside jogging, badminton, bird-watching, photography, reading, farniente, computer games or work on your computer in the free Wi-Fi zone.
- Around the resort - walks in the bush (referred to as “the jungle”), picnics, BBQs, overnight camping by big campfires in the jungle by a lake.
Proposed one week programme at Boo Oya Nature Resort
Rest days & Boo Oya naure resort-based activities
Afternoon & BBQ evening in the jungle
Excursion to Vavunya
Excursion to Anuradhupa
Excursion to Mahintale
Excursion to Willpatu
Excursion to Trincomale
Excursion to Jaffna (2 days)
The excursions from the resort are listed below.
Boo Oya Nature Resort is located in the North Central province, 8 km south of Vavuniya where the North Eastern province begins. The population is primarily Tamil, where Hinduism is dominant.
-Vavunya 8 km away: Hindu temples, street market, Madu Kanda old Buddhist temple of the Anuradhapura period
-Kilinochchi 83 km away- historical Naagathambiraan Temple Festival (the temple of the cobra) in March
- Chundikkulam 100 km away: bird sanctuary around a lake on the west coast
- Jaffna 140 km away: the capital of the North, large street market
- Jaffna Keerimalai Hindu Shivan Temple
- Nallur Kandaswamy Temple - annual 25-day Chariot festival starting August 15
- Beaches, the famous Casuarina beach, lagoon crab
- Causeway known as Elephant Pass
- Dutch star fort
- The sacred island of Nagadeepa (20km further westward through lagoon landscape + a boat transfer) hosting an old budhist temple as well as an hindu temple
- Anuradhapura 45km away: the World Heritage site of Anuradhapura, the sacred city from the 3rd century B.C. with the largest brick stupa in the world, was the first capital of Lanka for over 1000 years.
- Minhintale 40km away: where the king of Lanka is said to have been converted to Buddhism. Long climb and splendid panorama. Several beautiful minor sites in the vicinity: Kaludiya Pokuna (black water pond). You can also climb the surrounding hills for a rock carving discovery hunt in the mountains.
3) East coast 75 km away
- Trincomalee - natural deep water harbour
Hindu Koneswaram Temple on the swami rock where you have a panoramic view
Fine beaches of Nilaveli, Uppaveli and Pigeon Island. Hot water springs
Diving centers at Nilaveli, Uppaveli
Velgam Vehera Buddhist monastery, 14km north of Trincomale
Mullaitivu 80 km away - beautiful sandy beach
Virakaththi Pilaiyar temple
5) West Coast 75km away:
- Wilpattu National Park consists of a complex of lakes called ‘Villus’ surrounded by dunes and by grassy plains, set within scrub jungle. Many of the `big game’ found in Sri Lanka including elephant, sloth bear, water buffalo, and spotted dear are to be seen here, though the biggest attraction at Wilpattu is the leopard. Wilpattu is one of the oldest and most important protected areas in Sri Lanka and being situated away from the common tourist routes, this National Park is unspoilt and can be enjoyed in tranquil seclusion.
- On the coast, the interesting ruins of the Doric house, the mansion where the first British governor stayed near Mannar (temple).
We hope to welcome you soon at Boo Oya Nature Resort!
Interaction with guests
On site BBQ
Camping by a lake in the jungle
No reviews (yet)
This home doesn’t have any reviews. If you stay here, your review will appear here.
I am artist, painter, sculptor, designer. I have enjoyed using my artistic skills to build Boo Oya Nature Resort and I wish that our guests will feel close to nature and spend a great relaxing time at Boo Oya Nature Resort.