This is a very private setting in a wonderful neighborhood that's close to many great local spots. From house, it's a 12-15 minute drive to downtown, without using the highway. Come restore in the forest, head to the coast for a day trip, and dine in PDX.
Easy Intel/Nike access.
REGULAR CHECK IN: After 3pm Sat/Sun; After 5:30pm M-F; up until 8:30pm
Vacationing guests may stay a week or less. If you're interested in a 1-4 month furnished rental (traveling nurse, etc.) - NOV-FEB - contact me.
This is a post and beam home that is made almost of completely reclaimed wood! It's on a slope, so even this space, the lowest level, hovers above the hillside. This home is definitely a work in progress, and the space being offered is the first to be complete. The space is very simply set up, and there are two decks overlooking the forest with peek-a-boo sunsets and city lights.
You will have full access to your 850sf space, plus two attached decks (one at entry and one off bedroom).
Interaction with guests
I'm happy to be present as much or as little as you'd like.
I do prefer to meet/greet you when you arrive, so checking in after 5:30pm on weekdays/after 3pm on weekends, and always before 8:30pm is preferred (let me know when you make a request if you think your arrival will be much later).
Business Travelers: You may check in anytime; however, I would like to communicate about your timing/needs before accepting reservations. Also, the separate apartment is pet free; however, there is a cat living in the main house, which will only be a possible issue if you're highly allergic.
I enjoyed guiding biking and hiking tours for years throughout the Rockies, and am happy to help you with any planning you'd like.
Other things to note
This is a magical, beautiful spot, and I hope to let you know of anything that may impact your stay (these things may not bother you, but I'm going for the no-surprises approach):
-The space is set up in a very simple, minimalist way. All amenities listed will be provided (if I've missed something you desire, please let me know).
-Supplies for making pour over coffee are in the space; there's not a coffee maker (let me know if this is a deal breaker, and I am able to do something about this).
-The bed and sofa are rather low to the ground.
***I have a second queen Ikea mattress that is available to use on the floor in the common space if guests would like separate beds.
-You will have your own private entry down an exterior flight of stairs, so please know there's a little exercise involved with coming and going. (33 steps - bring your Fitbit)
-Parking is free, but it's a little tight; finding a spot to park is easy; turning around requires some thought.... It's not bad - we do it daily. The smaller the vehicle the better (small SUV or smaller, please).
-St. Vincent's Hospital is nearby, which is great, and sometimes you will hear sirens and helicopters, although these sounds do become white noise quickly.
-There's a bit of highway white noise, too (we're not too close, but being on a hill, sometimes, the sounds drift upward).
-There's also a private school with an amazing outdoor track nearby. We're happy to help runners/walkers find it.
-Please remember there is a cat upstairs, and we're all on the same HVAC, so if you have allergies, well.... up to you. He does not go in 'your' space.
-On that, we have AC, but haven't had a need to run it. The space you'll stay in stays cool, and there is supplemental heat if needed.
-There's no television in the space and no cable tv in the house (only internet). Feel free to stream what you'd like on your laptop/iPad/etc.
-Because our home is a work in progress, we will be doing work on the interior/exterior of the home; this shouldn't impact your stay.
-There is an ever-shortening punch list of things to be complete in the space you'll be staying in. I may ask to complete a task or two while you're out and about. While this will be helpful to me, feel free to say no, as this is your space for your visit. I will note that if I do work in your space, you will likely get additional hospitality benefits, like a made bed, laundered towels, a local chocolate bar, etc.
- Neighborhood and House Quiet Hours 10pm-8am
- Parking is specific, because we're on a narrow, private road - When I send driving directions, I will include details about where to park. Please turn around and park only where instructed. Vehicle size: small SUV or smaller, please. There is only one parking spot for your use on my road.
- This is a shoe-free space, so please leave your shoes near the door. Bring socks/slippers, if you'd like. Definitely no heels in the space or on the staircase, please. Mahalo.
- Please treat the space as if it's your own. I will give some specifics about the butcher block countertops and the engineered teak floors when you arrive; basically, keeping floors and counters dry and using coasters is necessary.
- ***NEW RULE*** No more preparing bacon in the space, and no pan frying meats. The smells fill our entire home and linger for the next guests.
- Please note the Airbnb requirement of being 18 or older to book; Please note the legal drinking age, and abide by that on the property.
- No smoking on property includes marijuana, as the house is in a forest, and I don't want to take any chances. No drug use of any kind on property. On that, the property includes our private road.
- Apartment washer/dryer hours: Mornings- start after 8am; Evenings- finish by 8pm (they are nice-Bosch, but noisy)
- If you have questions about the rules, or ways you'd like to use the space (friends over, etc.), please ask before booking; otherwise, the space is for those who book only.
- No unregistered guests, please.
- Please communicate your needs, as it will help me make sure you're enjoying your stay.
From Oct 16 - 18, 2017 the minimum stay is 1 night.
I enjoy sunsets, yoga, hiking, biking, beaches, building projects, design, and travel. I've been a high school teacher since 1998, and a yoga teacher since 2000.
I care about your adventure/business trip/whatever brings you here. I am excited to help you plan, or to simply let you in and leave you on your own, or anywhere in between.
I appreciate effective communication, so if you have a need, or if something isn't what you expected, please let me know, and I'll do my best to accommodate your request(s). If you really like or appreciate something, I enjoy hearing that information, too.