Very quiet, ideal for a couple to relax. PENTHOUSE with 8m frontal sea view, very large terraces and private parking. Front TERRACE 28 M2 FRONTAL SEA VIEW. Full size bed (180x200), home cinema and five loungers. Lots of light and amazing views. PRIVATE PARKING, no stress. Use of SAUNA & TWO BICYCLES included.
Our small but cozy penthouse at the Belgian Coast has frontal sea view and a panoramic view towards the Belgian inland.
THE CLOSEST YOU CAN GET TO A PRIVATE BEACH
There is a frontal terrace with direct sea view (32m²) and a back terrace with view on the green polders (28m²). Even with mild sun, the back terrace is the perfect place to relax and get a nice tan.
Afterwards, enjoy the SAUNA and the SWIMMING POOL in the residence. Both are free to use. Relaxed? Enjoy a movie on our HOME CINEMA or enjoy some great music. Sleep with only the sound of the wind and the waves.
PRIVATE PARKING SPOT
No parking stress: free private parking (number 12) at the back of the building is included.
ABOUT THE LOCATION
Our penthouse studio is located in Middelkerke (not Ostend, despite AirBnb putting our listing quite high in the Ostend search results).
We've bought the place for it's privacy, the amazing views and because it's conveniently located between the much trendier cities Nieuwpoort and Ostend. The residence is in the more quiet part of Middelkerke, the centre is within 800m. This area is rarely overcrowded.
Middelkerke offers a casino, a few great restaurants and a wide range of pubs. However, if you're mainly looking for the latest and greatest in nightlife during your stay, you'll need to take a 15 min drive.
SWIMMING POOL, SAUNA AND BASIC GYM
Our place is great for all seasons.
The building has a public swimming pool, two saunas, a basic gym and a room with billiards and football tables. Ideal to relax in the evening or during less sunny days.
Expect sea, beach and sun (if you're lucky) in the cosy Belgian Beach town Middelkerke.
We have a unique 58" (that is 147cm) ultra widescreen television with plenty of Blu Ray series available for your entertainment. To make the experience complete, two high quality Dynaudio XEO sound speakers complete the experience. You'll hear music as never before!
Bring your own movies on DVD or Blu Ray and enjoy.
We have two bicycles available for use. They are safely stored in a box within 400m from the apartment. These are cruiser bicycles - Sparta Bullet Blackline - ideal for discovering the area at a quiet pace.
There's a tram stop within 80 meters that brings you to Ostend in less than 15 minutes, from where you can visit any place in Belgium. Bruges is less than 45 minutes away, on a bright day you can even see the towers!
We're at the 10th floor, there's an elevator to the 9th floor and one last stairs to reach the apartment. Perfect privacy!
BED LINEN AND BATH TOWELS ARE NOT INCLUDED
Kitchen towels are available and included in the price. We ask you to bring your own bed linen and bath towels however.
There is of course a blanket (duvet), two pillows and a mattress protector.
However, we ask you to bring a fitted sheet, pillow cases and a duvet cov(PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN))
It's the 21st century, of course there's wifi ;-)
CONCIERGE IN THE RESIDENCE
There's a concierge who lives in the residence. Normally, you won't need her, but in case of emergency there's always someone available for help.
YOU WILL LIKE OUR SPACE IF:
* You're looking for a good place to stay at sea during autumn and winter (sauna, home cinema... )
* You're a couple who's looking for privacy and quiet (you'll only hear the sea and the wind)
* You don't mind the somewhat outdated interior, especially the old bathroom and the broadloom carpet
* You like the sea, but don't want to compromise on the comfort of home when renting a space (full size bed, large tv, privacy, parking, room to move...)
* You enjoy views, light and fresh air
* You don't mind taking the last stairs (around 15 steps)
* You like the concept of having everything in one room
OUR SPACE IS LESS IDEAL IF:
* You prefer a fully renovated apartment and don't like old bathrooms: we're aware that our curtains, carpet and paint will never win a design price ;-)
* You're looking for the most trendy city and the hippest bars at the Belgian Coast
* You want a dish washer: we haven't been able to find a way to fit one in yet.
* Kids and babies are welcome, but please note that there's no separate room to sleep, no children's bed and the audio equipment is not really child proof (audio speakers are loose on the stands). If you bring a travel bed, they'll have a great time though!
* You have difficulties taking stairs
KEY EXCHANGE AND PRACTICAL DETAILS
As soon as your reservation is confirmed, we'll send you all the details about the key exchange, bicycles, access to the building etc...
We're on AirBnb as hosts since June 2015, so we're still learning. Please ask any questions you might have.
We really hope you'll have a great time!
To find your parking spot, enter the following address in your GPS:
Leopoldlaan (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) Middelkerke
If you don't have a GPS:
* coming from Bruges, take the E40 direction Veurne / De Panne / Nieuwpoort
* take exit Middelkerke
* drive until you reach the city centre (approx. 3-4km)
* drive straight on until you see the sea and the tram tracks
* turn left (behind the buildings, the sea should be on your right) and follow the tracks
* keep following the tracks until you see a water tower in the distance (update: water tower is currently in the process of being converted into some kind of watchtower viewpoint)
* at a certain point, you'll see a big red sign "Spar Supermarket"
* drive another 60m and you have arrived
You'll see residence "Helix". You can park on n° 12. This is a private parking, you can't use other parking spots. Because the parking spots are somewhat narrow, we recommend to position your car in such a way that you can easily get out (the parking spots are narrow, but long).
There's a back entrance, a brown door on the right which you'll be able to use once you have the keys.
The actual address is: Residentie Helix, Zeedijk (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) Middelkerke. There are free parking spots at the front of the building in the Zeedijk (mind that your car will be sandy), at the back of the residence across the tram tracks. If everything is full, there's always place further down the Zeedijk which will cost €1/hr or €5/day.
Interaction with guests
There's a concierge in the building, a rather exceptional luxury these days.
We live within an hour from the studio, but Sofie and myself are always available in case of help.
Detailed explanations are also available in the appartment.
Other things to note
The penthouse is perfect for two people. It is probably less ideal for bringing kids (no children's bed and no separate room to sleep), for people who have limited mobility (due to the last stairs to reach the apartment) or for a couple that's looking for the trendiest nightlife (15 min drive required).
The place is clean, but not renovated: we're aware that our curtains, carpet and paint will never win a design price ;-)
To make sure your expectations are right:
If you don't mind our somewhat outdated interior, you'll have a great time.
The vast majority of our guests give their stay a five star rating. The four star ratings we've received come from guests who like the view and accommodation, but were hoping for a more renovated studio. We're saving to renovate the place, but aren't there yet. Thank you for taking his into account before you make a reservation.
There's a limit of 2GB/day on the Wifi which is operated by the residence.
Please no smoking and no pets.
Respectful handling of the home cinema is very much appreciated.
I'm living in Waregem, West-Flanders with my wife Sofie and our miniature dachshund Brownie. In my professional life, I was active as a strategy consultant in digital marketing before founding Pawshake, an international online platform to book a caretaker for pets.