Srijana, a fully operational farm, is a slight detour from the Lumbini-Pokhara route.
With 40 acres, 80 goats, fresh food, wonderful trails to explore, home-brewed rice beer and a mud house to sleep in; you won't miss home while visiting us!
Srijana is about 13 km outside the town of Tansen in the village of Hira Pokhara. Hira Pokhara is a small sparse village where you are more likely to encounter wandering cattle than a human.
You room is in a traditional mud and wood house that once belonged to the village chief. The house is old style and the toilet/shower are outside the house.
The landscape is lush, rich and hilly, so hiking options abound.
- A hike down to the river on the property takes about 2 hours.
- On the hills above the farm is a well preserved community forest could be explored in as little as a hour or as many as 5.
-In a 90 min circuit through the farm you can pay your respects to the chickens, cows and goats.
- You can also take walks with our resident botanist to learn about the local flora and fauna
- There are some great all-day and multi-day hikes with fantastic views of the Himalayas in the area as well.
We are a fully operational farm and there is always something that needs doing.
- Every morning at 6 AM cows needs to be milked. And you can join us to watch (or attempt it yourself)
- Every Sunday the goats are strapped into a harness and weighed.
- In weening season, some baby goats need to be bottle fed milk. It is a very cute sight :--)
- We always need more holes dug to plant fruit trees in
- And if you have skills like carpentry or working with milk products, we are always looking to learn techniques from other countries.
Food and Drinks
Since the farm is not close to very much this above price is per guest. For that amount you get 3 meals and all the homebrew liquor you want. About 60% of what you will eat is grown on the farm. And we are working hard to increasing that number.
- We make our own cheese. We have been doing it for just a few months, but we are told we are doing it well
- We brew and distill on our alcohol own as well, making chaing (rice beer) and raksi (spirit). For the latter we have used rice, millet and even plums. Our brews are included in the cost of the meal plan.
- We have some recipes to make cocktails from scratch (with fruits picked from the farm) that you can try your hand at. The cocktails are included in the meal plan as well AND you have the pleasure of making them yourself.
We promise you won't miss home while visiting us!