This is a unique 2-floor apartment in a majestic house built in 1907 but updated and furnished with custom artistic style. Easy walking distance to the Berkeley campus, many restaurants, coffee houses and close to public transport.
Rental of a car is an option. Bicycles are provided.
The apartment is in the popular Elmwood residential district (south campus), very conveniently located 1 block from Telegraph Avenue, 2 blocks from College Avenue, and about 12 minutes walk from the UC Campus.
The apartment is about 5-12 minutes’ walk from UC Campus plus numerous reasonably-priced ethnic and specialty restaurants (Italian, Nepalese, Thai, Ethiopian, Burmese, French, Japanese, burgers, pizza, Swiss-style fondue, Chinese, Korean barbecue, a Subway), coffee houses, bookstores, vintage clothing stores, music stores, and student hangouts on Telegraph Avenue. A large CVS pharmacy is a block away, and Whole Foods is 4 minutes by car or a 12 minute walk (5 blocks).
There are buses on Telegraph or College Avenues to downtown Berkeley, BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit system), Oakland and San Francisco. The Claremont Hotel & Conference Center is just over a mile away. There is freeway access either at Telegraph Avenue & 55th Street (about 2 miles) or Ashby Avenue (about 3 miles) where you can drive to San Francisco, Oakland, Marin County & the Golden Gate Bridge, Napa Valley, and Lake Tahoe. Twenty minutes driving (outside rush hours!) will take you to San Francisco across the Bay Bridge, or if you take BART from the downtown Berkeley station, it’s about a 20 minute ride to SF.
You enter the apartment from the main door of the house. Downstairs there is a formal dining room adjacent to a kitchen with a dishwasher, microwave looking outside to a deck. Off the main living room is a grand bathroom with large stained glass windows - that came out of a nearby church on Channing Way - and an extra large bath tub. The front room serves as a grand bedroom. Two more spacious bedrooms are on the second floor adjacent to the second bathroom and another work desk.
There is a rear deck on the ground floor plus a small deck by the front door. We have just installed a washer and dryer in the basement for your exclusive use. You’ll have 2 dedicated off-street parking spaces - in front of the house. Car rental - from us - is an option.
Our delightful and energetic managers Binyam and Bruk (originally from Ethiopia) take care of the apartment. They live only a block away. One or both of them will welcome you when you arrive and show you around. They will be available (as I will, by email or phone) during your stay to answer any questions. Otherwise, you will have the place to yourself and won’t be disturbed. The adjacent house to the south has been occupied by the friendly owners for over twenty years. To the north ( on the original tennis court) is a small four unit apartment building occupied by quiet students.
This house is of the original (1907) grand Berkeley residences ( the fourplex next door was built on the tennis court in the 1940's ) that has been updated. However if you are only seeking a modern, generic white standard "IKEA style" apartment then this apartment is clearly not for you!
Interaction with guests
Our experienced friendly co hosts Bin and Bruk live one block away. One or both of them will welcome you when you arrive and show you around.
Other things to note
The fine print (otherwise known as house rules):
• Minimum stay 21 days.
• Strictly no smoking anywhere in the apartment or elsewhere on the property! A Berkeley City ordinance prohibits smoking in apartments and common areas of multi-unit dwellings.
•No parties or loud noise. This is a generally quiet residential neighborhood, and we want to keep it that way. Quiet time is after 10 PM and before 7:30 AM.
•Sorry, no pets.
•For residential purposes only (home office OK).
The fine print:
• Minimum stay 14 days. This is a City of Berkeley requirement.
• Our rates are all-inclusive. We pay the Berkeley business license tax and rent registration fees, but those are not charged to you.
• Check-in 3:00 pm or later; check-out by 11:00 a.m. Any changes to these times need to be arranged in advance.
• Please let us know your approximate arrival time using the Airbnb email system. If you are likely to arrive after 10:00 pm, we will provide self check-in instructions.
• Absolutely NO smoking anywhere in the apartment, the laundry room, the grounds, or elsewhere on the property! A Berkeley City ordinance prohibits it in apartments and common areas of multi-unit dwellings.
• Please, no parties or loud noise – this is a quiet residential neighborhood, and we want to keep it that way.
• Sorry, no pets.
• Please don't park your vehicle in the driveway or anywhere that blocks access for other residents. Park in front of the house behind the fence.
• Please respect other residents – introduce yourself when you see them.
• Maximum of 6 people.
• Please look after the apartment as though it was your own home.
This host has 300 reviews for other properties.View other reviews