Lovingly restored 1803 farmhouse on six acres nestled between the Ashokan Reservoir and High Point Mountain in the lower Catskills. A true nooks and crannies house, full of rustic charm and warmth yet abounding with modern comforts.
Conveniently located within easy driving distance of popular Catskill towns, ski resorts, and an abundance of great outdoor activities.
Step back in time with this storybook farmhouse on a quiet country road. It was one the very first houses built in the area, and its original occupants owned and farmed over 200 acres. The stone core of the house was built in 1803, and the wood-framed portions were added on in the 1840s.
It has been restored with many of its special historic features intact: hand-hewn beams across the ceiling, wide plank floors, antique furniture, original windows with wavy glass, and laid stone walls.
The house has four bedrooms, two full baths, and a fully equipped kitchen. There is a fireplace in the living room and a wood stove off the kitchen that provides an amazing amount of heat during the chilly months.
The large stone patio in the rear overlooks an expansive and open two-acre yard. Beyond that, we have four additional private acres of woodland if you want to take a stroll among the trees.
This house is in the center of it all. It is close to the Ashokan Reservoir, Mohonk Preserve, Minnewaska State Park, the Ulster County Rail Trail, and hiking trails such as Ashokan High Point and Giant Ledge. For those looking to cool off in the summer, Peekamoose Blue Hole swimming hole is a short drive away. Skiers will find it's the ideal hub for hitting the slopes at Belleayre Ski Center or Hunter Mountain.
Nearby towns include:
Boiceville (13 minutes away, with an IGA grocery store and wine/spirits shop)
Phoenicia (19 minutes away)
Stone Ridge (22 minutes away)
Woodstock (25 minutes away)
Kingston (25 minutes away)
High Falls (28 minutes away)
Guests can access the entire home, save for a locked room off the dining room and a closet in the master bedroom.
Interaction with guests
We are always available to answer questions or give recommendations by phone, text, or email.
- Our home is a very old and carefully restored structure. We ask that guests treat it with respect and care.
- Smoking only allowed outdoors on the back patio.
- While this is a country house, we do have neighbors. We ask that you keep noise levels respectful during the evening/night hours.
- We have two great fireplaces and hope you enjoy them. Please read the instructions before using. Be mindful of children around the wood stove as it gets very hot. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
- The house is on a septic system. Please help us maintain it by not flushing feminine products or wipes. Please refrain from pouring oil/grease in the sink.
We're a married couple who split our time between NYC and West Shokan. Ben is a filmmaker and Susan is an archivist.
We started making weekend trips up to the Catskills many years ago and got married in nearby High Falls. Soon after the wedding, we began looking for a historic home to buy. We fell in love with this magical house on sight. We've done a lot of work to restore and upgrade it, and we're very excited to be able to share it with you on Airbnb.