We invite you to call this special place your home.
Definition of baraka
: a blessing that is regarded in various Eastern religions as an indwelling spiritual force and divine gift inhering in saints, charismatic leaders, and natural objects.
Become immersed in a creative and inspiring space that will touch your soul.
Emblematic of Antigua's historic style & Betraying of world travel influences.
Take time for yourself!
Why come to Baraka Antigua?
A getaway from Antigua's charming buzz. Looking for serenity whilst maintaining easy access to the colonial city? Baraka Antigua is minutes away. Jardines de Antigua is our neighborhood - peaceful, beautiful, safe.
Choose from numerous intimate spaces to occupy - both indoors and outdoors with over a dozen shared spaces: informal kitchen gathering space, panoramic rooftop terrace, fireside lounge sofas, formal dining table, library reading corner, yoga&meditation room, relaxing front porch rocking chairs, garden coffee table corners, traditional Guatemalan sauna, garden dining room, outdoor lounge & sweetheart coffee table.
- Garden: aesthetic, colorful, tropical, fish pond, plants, mural, green bamboo wall, jasmine.
- Yoga&Meditation room: symbolism, colors, chakras, energy, 5 elements, peacefulness, light & darkness, candles & incense.
- Library corner: inspiring, fiction, healing, reality, beauty, humanity, living, serenity.
- Moroccan lounge: travel, exotic, romanticism, music, informal connections, bohemian, evenings in good company, escape to another world.
- Front porch rocking chairs: candles, garden views, sheltered, outside, glass of wine, conversations, scents of the night, read a book.
- Kitchen: heart of the house, social hub, home grown organic coffee, cook at home.
The word "Chapin" is the colloquial term for referring to anything Guatemalan. I named this room Chapin because of the art that has been hung in this room, showing local traditions in weaving and the life cycle of corn (from growing, harvesting, milling, grinding, tortilla making and celebrating life and this food item that is central to the Chapin way of life not just for its nutritious properties, but culturally revered and regarded as the substance from which man was created according to the Popol Vuh -- the scriptures central to the Mayan belief system). This room has a queen size bed, its own TV/DVD system for bedtime viewing, and its own full en-suite bathroom.
Our Rooftop Terrace: watch erupting volcanoes from the best vantage point! Savour mesmerizing scenery over your breakfast while you spend time with your morning coffee soaking in the view of the volcanoes and dissipating mists as the sun rises above the hills.
We love the social buzz - inviting you to connect with some new friends:
- cute (yet discreet) garden hens,
- tropical bees: reassuringly they are stingless! They are much smaller than regular bees, often mistaken for funny flies. See if you can find the different beehives and let use know!
- our garden cat: Indie! She talks a lot and is rather social. She lives outside, but will come inside if invited.
- our other guests. Yes, if you are just renting a room then you will likely not be alone in the house. (there are 4 other rooms that we rent out aswell - so why not bring your friends?). We offer you the opportunity to relate with some interesting people during your stay - sharing your stories and their's.
Nowadays with our often complicated lives, luxury lies in simplicity.
After you complete your reservation with us, we will offer logistical services for booking:
- private transportation/taxi
- private tours
- at home massage
- at home sauna experience
- at home Guatemalan Cooking classes
- home-cooked breakfast, lunch and/or dinner
- pre-arrival shopping
- at home spanish classes
- Guatemalan organic coffee grown by the property owner
- any other private service you may require
More than a building - where the sum of the parts deliver so much more! Nourish yourself from the wholeness of the spaces here. Please visit our other magical rentals on Lake Atitlán.
We also offer retreat hosting facilities on Lake Atitlán: teachers/facilitators please inquire.
You will have access to the whole house. The exceptions are: other bedrooms (obvious.... But there it is (;-) ) and the office (unless invited).
Interaction with guests
You will usually be hosted at the house when I am in residence. So chances to interact are pretty high. We are likely to share breakfast or some of our meals together, maybe cook and enjoy a glass of wine together. Its up to your mood, mine too...and the magic of the flow (:-)
Other things to note
[there are 4 other rooms available should you find this one booked for your desired dates - check out our other listings. Also the house is available as a complete rental]
Our other listings on Lake Atitlán may interest you:
Its mostly common sense! Respect the space, its art and layout. Its a beautiful space where you may find lots of inspiration. I hope you make the most of it and enjoy the peacefulness beauty of the house. If you have any questions, ask Nancy the housekeeper, Jose the property manager or myself.
Attention SMOKERS: In order to respect my space and the possible desire for other guests to breath clean air, you are invited to smoke anywhere outside (rooftop terrace, entrance porch with rocking chairs or any of the garden space)
This host has 246 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
I was born in France and travel between Guatemala where my projects are and Europe where my daughter lives.