This back yard cottage is in a central Berkeley neighborhood. It's walking distance to transportation, fantastic food markets, and treasures like UC Berkeley and hills for hiking.
You get your own private cottage, that opens onto a sunny yard, for a reasonable price (i believe) . But please read on as there are some unique features that may not be for everyone:
1. While you have a private and dedicated toilet in the cottage, this does not have a traditional "bathroom." The toilet itself is divided from the room with a shoji screen (see picture--when booked for one person only i usually leave the screen in storage).
2. The shower is outdoors (see pics). Additionally, I am still putting the finishing touches on some of my yard, including the shower floor. Many guests tell me that the outdoor shower was the best part of the space!
In 2014 the cottage was totally remodeled with bamboo floors, recessed lighting, and a custom black walnut "lunch" counter. The door and two windows are south facing, so there can be plenty of light, but I also installed top/down bottom/up shades to let in all the light you want or make it pitch dark for relaxation and sleeping in. The cottage opens to the newly landscaped yard with tan flagstone throughout, an outdoor table, and sun umbrella. Despite being in the city it is very well insulated and thus surprisingly quite at night (in my opinion).
The space itself is small, about 20 by 10. Other than the bed and the stools at the counter there is no where to lounge inside. But outside you have reclining chairs and a picnic table.
I have had some folks complain of ants. I live on the same property and while ants can be a nuisance during certain times of year, i have no issues if i can keep thing clean or spray or wipe down an occasional ant.
"Kitchenette" includes toaster oven, hot plate, coffee maker, mini fridge and some basic cooking supplies.
I do have a dog. He is super friendly, and great protection. He is in the yard part of the day but not always.
I always tell people I have a house full of stuff I"m happy to share if there is something that's needed.
Interaction with guests
It just depends on how much we are around, and also what you prefer. Sometimes you will have the yard to yourself all of the time, other times me and my boys could be around bbqing or playing ping pong. I certainly like to say "hello" if I see you and see how your day is going.
Other things to note
1. Outdoor Shower ONLY (see pics)
2. Toilet is in the cottage but free-standing in a corner, not in a separate bathroom
3. My property has ants. If the unit is kept clean it should not be a problem but certain times of year they are relentless--I just don't believe in spraying my whole property to kill them all
--No smoking anywhere on property
--Basic Courtesy with things like hours and noise
--Only guests registered through Air B and B
I have lived in Berkeley all my life and hope to share my love of my hometown with guests. I guess I just never felt the need to leave. I"ve travelled extensively, especially in Spain, where my dad's family is from, and playing ultimate frisbee years ago took me to Japan, Thailand, England and all over the U.S. I also speak Spanish and Catalan (to dome degree!).
I have two teenage boys, with one off to college now. I love to exercise and play sports, to study the human body and nutrition, and to garden. I recently underwent a career change after years in the specialty foods business; I now work as a fitness and nutrition coach. The fitness training I do is rooted in neuroscience. When not with my boys I'm usually hanging out with my long time girlfriend, either at her house or here in Berkeley. I spent a majority of my 20s and 30s as if I was a professional ultimate frisbee player (that is I put in the time but didn't get paid!). Back then I also studied English at UC Berkeley and SF State.