This modern townhome is located on the near Northside - a much south-after residential neighborhood 6-7 minutes walk to the UC Berkeley campus and walking distance from restaurants, stores, and public transport.
If you have any reason to visit Berkeley (town or gown), this is a wonderful location.
Our rates are all-inclusive. We pay the Berkeley business license tax, but it is not charged to you.
The space: The townhome is large (1050 sq ft or 98 sq meters), fully furnished and artistically decorated. Virginia Street is quiet, and the place is set back from the street. Downstairs is open plan, featuring a stylish fully-equipped kitchen with an unusual seamless granite countertop, custom tile work, dishwasher, microwave, etc. and a good selection of cooking equipment and utensils. The living/dining room is comfortable and includes a futon/sofa bed for occasional extra guests. The downstairs bathroom is full-size with a tub and shower. Lots of custom character throughout such as indirect “mood” lighting.
A Bosch washer and dryer are hidden under the stairs - inside the unit.
As you go upstairs, you will enjoy the etched glass work and designer tile work embedded in the wooden stairs. The upper floor has two bedrooms, each with a private en suite bathroom. Skylights in bathrooms and upper hallway add lots of light. Queen-size chest beds have storage drawers underneath, and there is lots of closet and cupboard space.
The floors are hardwood throughout, except for the kitchen and bathrooms which feature designer tile floors. The townhome is ideal for one or two couples. The walls adjoining the adjacent townhomes are insulated with sound-reducing and environmentally-friendly recycled denim fiber and green glue (yes! green glue). While the sound is damped down, the walls are obviously not totally 100% soundproof (also sound carries through open windows), so your neighbors will appreciate it if you are quiet.
The Neighborhood: You are just one block from Euclid Avenue with a selection of stores, cafes, sandwich shops, and coffee houses. For foodies, Berkeley’s famed Gourmet Ghetto on Shattuck Avenue and Walnut Square (the location of the first Peets Coffee) are a 10-minute walk away, featuring iconic dining experiences such as Alice Waters’ Chez Panisse and the Cheeseboard Pizza Collective.
Access: The north gate of the Berkeley Campus is just two blocks away – a delightful and easy stroll along tree-lined streets. Also various buildings of the Pacific School of Religion are dotted around “Holy Hill” – again a few minutes walk away. You can walk to downtown Berkeley and the BART station (Bay Area Rapid Transit system). Twenty minutes driving will take you to San Francisco across the new Bay Bridge (outside rush hours!), or it’s 20 minutes via BART. Driving to Marin County, Napa Valley and Lake Tahoe are also easy options.
Interaction: Our wonderful manager Binyam (originally from Ethiopia) knows this property well -- he participated in building it. He will welcome you when you arrive and will be available during your stay by phone or e-mail to answer any questions. Otherwise, you will have the place to yourself and won’t be disturbed.
Welcome -- we will be interested to hear from you what brings you to Berkeley!
• Our rates are all-inclusive. We pay the Berkeley business license tax, but it is not charged to you.
• Monthly discounts (for stays of 28 days or more)
• The accommodation charge includes cleaning and stocking with essential supplies before you move in. There is no separate cleaning fee.
The fine print:
• Minimum stay 14 days
• One off-street parking space is available for you in the courtyard - but only for a car (there is not enough space to park a truck or large SUV).
•No smoking anywhere in the building or the courtyard! A Berkeley City ordinance prohibits it in multi-unit apartment buildings and common areas.
• This is a quiet residential building in a serene neighborhood. Please, no parties or loud noise!
• Sorry, no pets.
• For residential purposes only (home office OK).
Higher speed internet 50 megs/sec.
Comcast cable with 137 channels - of which 45 are Spanish.
The fine print:
• Minimum stay 14 days. This is a City of Berkeley requirement.
• Our rates are all-inclusive. We pay the Berkeley business license tax and rent registration fees, but those are not charged to you.
• Check-in 3:00 pm or later; check-out by 11:00 a.m. Any changes to these times need to be arranged in advance.
• Please let us know your approximate arrival time. If you are likely to arrive after 10:00 pm, we will provide self check-in instructions.
• Absolutely NO smoking anywhere in the townhome, on the front or back steps, or in the grounds of the property! A Berkeley City ordinance prohibits it in apartments and common areas of multi-unit dwellings.
•Please, no parties or loud noise – this is a quiet residential building and neighborhood, and we want to keep it that way.
• Sorry, no pets.
• Treat the apartment with care - as you would for your own home.
• Parking space for small to medium size car only. Please don't park anywhere that blocks access for other residents.
• Please respect your neighbors – introduce yourself when you see them.
Born in England, now living in California for many years. Two (!!) graduate degrees from UC Berkeley. Frequent travel – tired of chain hotels. I have been an Airbnb guest in the US and several other countries and have appreciated the experience of staying in a real home, a place with warmth and character, in an interesting walkable neighborhood. That’s what my co-host (my husband Jack) and I offer you, too, in Berkeley – a vibrant town with an internationally renowned university, distinctive architecture, innovative restaurants, serious coffee houses, bookstores, parks, museums, theater, a lively music scene – and conveniently close to San Francisco.