A charming 3-bedroom cottage tucked into the wooded patch of an orchard estate. Super views of the Himalayas, quietness and birds galore. With basic amenities, this address makes self-organized family or friend get-togethers easy and affordable
The 3 oaks is a small family home, located in Hartola, Uttarakhand. For the mentioned price, you have a clean and fully furnished accommodation for a self-managed stay on our estate. See below for the options regarding food.
1. Two day trains and one night train link Delhi to Kathgodam from where you take a cab for a 75 km drive up to Hartola (roughly 2.5 hours via Bhimtal, Bhowali, Ramgad and Nathuakhan).
2. If you prefer to drive from Delhi, count roughly 8 to 9 hours to cover a distance of 350 kms
What do we do about food?
- You bring your food and we provide the cooking - Rs. 800/day. In this case some basic items as mentioned below are made available.
- You bring nothing and we ensure 3 vegetarian meals a day - 500/head/day. If you wish to include one non-vegetarian meal, it would cost you Rs. 700/head/day.
How does this house look?
It is divided into two units. A small open courtyard with three oak trees separates these two units.
- One main cottage with a large split level space that houses one bedroom, an open kitchen, drawing and dining area and a charming conservatory;
- One annex with two more bedrooms.
What can you expect?
*The kitchen is fully functional with basic utensils, a cooking range and a fridge. In addition, you will find a ‘starter kit’ that includes some basic spices, onions, garlic, cooking oil, 1 kg of rice and lentils (dal) each, sugar, tea and coffee. You may help yourself to any fruit or vegetables available in the garden during your stay
*Two of the bedrooms have sofa cum beds but unlike most sofa cum beds, these form very comfortable double beds. One bedroom has 2 single beds.
*Please note that there is a 4th bedroom that has a futon converted into a bed. This means it is a SMALL double bed. This room has a wash basin and toilet attached BUT NO BATH FACILITY.
* All beds have clean and comfortable cotton mattresses, pillows and quilts. Fresh sheets, pillow and quilt covers are provided.
*The accommodation has two bathrooms, both equipped with geysers for hot water. Please bring your own towels and toiletries.
*With a spring on the premises, you are assured of good water availability throughout the year. Besides, we have installed the Common Man's Water Filter, designed by change maker Anil Laul for drinking purposes.
*The main cottage has a fireplace and each of the bedrooms has an electric heater.
*There is no TV on the premises.
*There is a washing machine but will be operated upon request by the caretaker.
*The estate provides parking space for 1 car.
If you bring help for long stays and therefore occupy a room for the purpose, we will negotiate a charge for the same.
During your stay, you have access to the orchards and forest of the estate.
Interaction with guests
We go to Hartola twice/year on an average. If your visit coincides with ours, it will be our pleasure to meet you.
At all other times, you will be welcomed and guided on the estate by our non-English speaking caretaker.
He has a full time responsibility to look after the estate. He will welcome you and ensure that you find a clean house on arrival. You may use his services for the following tasks:
- Cooking the meals at fixed times: 9 am, 1 pm and 8 pm.
- Operating the fire place
- Fetching fresh milk from the village around 8 am
- Disposing your organic waste into the compost pit
- Using the washing machine if needed
Please note that our caretaker has several other tasks on our estate as well as our neighbours and so we request you not to take him for granted for any other service you may require like running errands or making teas and coffees in the day.
Other things to note
Electricity failures are common in the hills. If this happens at night and the skies are clear, grab your opportunity for stargazing! You have some of the best views of the sky!
For small discomforts, we have a first aid kit available on the premises. Do not hesitate to ask Prem, our caretaker.
For bigger problems, following are some of the medical facilities in the region:
-The NGO Aarohi situated in Peora and known for its health, education and income-generation programs in the region, runs a rural hospital equipped with a laboratory, an X-ray facility and a modern Operation Theatre.
-The Sai Hospital, Mukhani Chauraha, Haldwani
-The Central Hospital, Near Gas Godam Tiraha, Kusumkhera,Kaladhungi Road, Haldwani
As you see on the photos, Hartola is a quiet and remote village. You may therefore wish to go through the following checklist before landing up:
-Filling your fuel tanks, inflating tyres and ensuring a fully inflated spare wheel. No service stations after Haldwani and Kathgodam
-A 3G stick for Internet access.
-Medical kit and first aid items
-Beverages you may require
Hartola has a few provision shops. Depending on the season and apart from the fruit and vegetables growing in our own garden, a few others may be available in the local shops. Bread, organic eggs and milk and other small provision items are also available on order at the local shops. On your way from Kathgodam to Hartola, the last spot to buy meat is Ramgad (30 kms), and the last to purchase branded consumables is Nathuakhan (10 kms)
Warm clothing and rainwear can be useful even in spring and summer because of sudden and frequent weather changes
1. We love the Earth and care for Hartola. So, to the extent possible, please avoid bringing/littering plastic inside or outside the premises.
2. Once we agree upon the number of guests and the food arrangements for your group, purchases and other logistics will be organised accordingly. Hence we expect you to respect that agreement. If you wish for any changes to be made during your stay, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me. We can consider your request but do not promise to be able to accommodate it.
3. If you have chosen to bring your own food items, we expect you to bring all of it. Note however that some basics like oil or spices are available at home but please do not request our caretaker to run errands out of Hartola to make purchases on your behalf. If you ask him to buy any locally available items, please settle the bills for these local purchases directly with him.
4. Whatever be the food arrangements you have chosen, please note that meals will be served at fixed hours – 9 am, 1 pm and 8 pm. If you are not around at these times, Prem will leave the meals on the table. Feel free to heat it as required when you are ready to eat.
5. Between these meal times, feel free to make yourselves as many teas, coffees and snacks as you wish. Prem has other duties on the site and is not available for these services.
6. In the same vein, please note that Prem will ensure that the house is clean and in order for your stay. He will also ensure that some common spaces in the house remain clean during your stay. He will not however enter your rooms during your stay. Please look after them as you would in your own homes.
7. When you leave, please try your best to leave a clean home and a clean garden.
8. In case you have generated ‘recyclable waste’ like beer, wine or plastic bottles, you may wish to do the hills a favour and carry these back to be deposited on your way at a municipal waste gathering spot situated on the main road close to Katgodham on the left. Your waste has a chance for new life rather than ending up as litter on the hills!
9. If you are a smoker, please ensure you do not smoke inside the house or scatter your butts all over the place. Make use of the ‘ashtrays’ at different places
This host has 3 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
In awe of nature and comfortable with a slow life.
Love travelling just to experience nature's wonders. Can trek for hours, love poetry and listening to soft music. Truly enjoy meeting people but social networking not really my cup of tea. Freedom to think out of the box is what I treasure most!