My house is on a family estate, close to the colonial city of Popayan, within easy walking distance of restaurants, museums and old churches. For two generations, the estate has been perfectly secure. You’ll love the tranquility, the perpetual springtime, the spaciousness of the house, and the lush, green setting. It's a comfortable place for travelers, business people, and medical tourists; and it's an ideal base for those who are considering a move to this beautiful area.
The elegant house is about 17 years old and was designed by a prominent architect. Although it is very near to the historic district, you are in the countryside, with ample lawns, fields, and a forest. You can swing lazily in the hammocks or relax on the patios. And you can play a game of croquet.
Guests will be able to access everything on the first floor. The suite consists of a large bedroom with an armoire, a rocking chair, a TV with Roku and black-out shades. Then there is a full bath, a storage area with a desk. and another small room with a medium-sized table and chairs in it. If your party includes a minor child, you may use an air mattress or the sofa bed in the common space. Guests may use the living room, the dining room, the laundry room, the patio and the kitchen. The wifi has two routers, so the signal is strong throughout most of the house.
Guests are welcome to use the water filter, which cleans the water of all possible contaminants.
Interaction with guests
I will be happy to recommend restaurants and other places of interest. I've lived in this city for about six years, so I am pretty familiar with it. I can direct you to the theater, grocery stores, a good cobbler, beauty salons and Parque Caldas. If you like, I can make reservations for you at the Vida Sana Health Spa or arrange for a professional masseuse to come to the house for a one-hour massage. I enjoy chatting with travelers, but I am respectful of their privacy.
Other things to note
During the rainy season, the weather is quite predictable. Almost every morning is sunny until roughly 2 pm. Then you can expect showers for a couple hours, and then it usually clears up in the late afternoon. Occasionally, it rains at night as well.
A gentle Persian cat lives here (but is not allowed in the guest suite). He is strictly a house cat. If anyone in your party is allergic to cats, this will not be a good fit for you. Sorry.
If you have a dog and a leash, there is a well-built doghouse available behind the house, but unfortunately, the dog can't come into the main house.
As a note in passing, most of the people in this city are cordial, helpful and polite. Please don't be rude or aggressive to them. Be slow to anger and quick to smile. Relax and enjoy yourselves.
- Guests may smoke outside the house.
- The guest suite has an extra room with a table and chairs, a bedroom with an armoire, a full bathroom, and a small desk area. If guests have one or two young children, we can put a comfortable sofa-bed in the office.
This is, in general, a very quiet environment, although my neighbors occasionally host events, such as weddings. They assure me that they will always quiet down by 8 pm. If possible, I can check with them as soon as I receive a reservation request. If they are going to play loud music, I can forewarn you; or you can stay here for half price on any night that their loud music has bothered you after 8 pm.
- There is no heat or air conditioning because Popayan has one of the most comfortable climates in the world - within about 3 degrees of 74 degrees F. all year long.
- A lovely, gentle Persian cat named Attila lives here; but he is not allowed to enter the guest suite; so even if you are allergic, you might not have a reaction to him.
- Guests are more than welcome to use the kitchen to make light meals. And there is a small coffee maker in the suite. You can eat in your suite, in the main dining room, or on the rear patio that overlooks the lawn and forest.
You are welcome to use the washing machine and to hang your clothes on the lines in the laundry room.