Not a good place to stay, unless major issues with this property are addressed by host:
1. Rooms were tiny. Beds hardly fit in the space; no air conditioning or fans (with hot, humid weather this will not be too comfortable for some people). Windows did not have mosquito/bug screens, o leaving windows open guarantees entry of insects.s
2. Beds had animal droppings (rats and/or bats). Bed sheets were dirty.
3. Kitchen smelled awful! Dirty counters, refrigerator smelled mildew, poor lighting.
4. "open air" living room (no windows or doors) is a large space with not enough furniture to entertain; furniture was dirty or stained.
5. Pool water was green with algae; and dirty with other debris.
6. House is on hilly terrain, uneven; tile steps and path was slippery (probably due to moisture), without proper hand-rails. Unsafe for children or the elderly.
7. Surrounded by tropical foliage, so there are many bugs and mosquitos!
I had the opportunity to inspect the property at check-in, and within minutes, our party decided to cancel due to the conditions of the place. I talked to the host, Marlene, and explained the situation, at which time we agreed to cancel, and she agreed to no penalties and a full refund. After a few days, I tried to contact her via emails, texts and voicemails because I did not receive my money back. She has ignored every attempt to settle this matter, and at the moment, 2 weeks after this reservation, we have AirBnB involved in resolving this issue. We did not do anything wrong in this process, and the description on the profile is not accurate, and lacks actual conditions of the property, and better pictures!
Very disappointed, not worth the high cost per night, especially for El Salvador. Initially, the host was friendly and cordial when we were making arrangements to check-in, but after the issues were brought to her attention, and the follow up for a refund, she ignored all communications.
Look for another place nearby in this beautiful, safe neighborhood of Atami!