Hua is a beautiful, private home, nestled in a hidden garden in a private estate on the big island of Hawaii. It is a bamboo home in the Polynesian style, with power from the sun, and water from the clouds. There is a loft bedroom with a queen-size Stearns and Foster mattress, two ground-floor bedrooms with king-size Stearns and Foster mattresses, two bathrooms with walk in showers, a kitchen with fridge, dishes, flatware, coffee maker, etc. We provide linens, towels and toiletries.
Located just five minute's walk from the beautiful Champagne Ponds of Kapoho where you can swim in geo-heated tide pools with sea turtles and tropical fish. Hua is a comfortable home just right for up to six people. It is off-grid, taking its electricity from the sun, water from the rain. But in it's use it feels little different than your own home in terms of convenience. There is a queen Stearns and Foster bed in the sleeping loft upstairs where the dormer windows capture the tradewinds. Downstairs there are two bedrooms, each with a king Stearns and Foster bed and private lanai. There is a well-appointed living room, kitchen, and two luxurious bathrooms. A lanai wraps around the front of the building upon which is a large dining table. The kitchen has a refrigerator and a thermos pot for keeping water hot for tea or coffee in the morning. There is a BBQ for cooking and a solar oven is available should you feel so inclined. There are also communal induction hot plates, toasters, and crockpots available. But Kapoho is a warm place -- great for eating cooling foods such as salads, poke, fruit and there are great places to eat in Pahoa (just 10 minutes away)... There is broadband wifi (sorry, no streaming) and your electronic devices can be charged up as you would at home.There is no air conditioning but there are ample windows and large ceiling fans. We welcome families but small children are not a great fit here as the volcanic cinder can cause scrapes and supervision at all times is required as there is no lifeguard stationed pool.
Hua sits within a unique, six-acre garden, containing more than 4,000 rare and exotic palms, planted in a landscape of black, volcanic cinder. The property is fenced and gated for your privacy. There is a beautiful, saline pool available for your use if you don't feel like visiting the nearby hot ponds. The property is located near the far eastern tip of the big island of Hawaii. It is quiet and rural out here.
Other things to note
The property is off grid so please be mindful of your use of water and electricity. You are free to charge your electrical devices -- but try to do this during the light of day so the power used comes straight off the panels. Do not use any other appliances in the house other than those that are there when you arrive. Do not bring appliances from the gazebo into the house.
This is my home, so I would expect you to treat it with the respect you would to your own. Here are some specific house rules:
1. Cooking is prohibited in the house. You may use the BBQ just outside the house or use one of the cooking appliance in the gazebo. Do NOT bring any appliance from the gazebo into the house.
2. If you use a shared resource such as snorkelling gear or pots and pans, please clean these and return as soon as you are done with them so others can enjoy them.
3. Do not wear shoes inside the house house at any time
4. Do not leave wet items or standing water on top of any wooden surfaces.
5. Do not sit on furniture if you have sunscreen or tanning oil on.
6. There is no smoking permitted on the property.
7. There is a shared outdoor kitchen in a lovely bamboo gazebo -- please clean up after yourself so that others can enjoy its use.
8. The property is festooned with rare and endangered palms so please don't do anything that might harm them.
9. No parties are allowed unless previously arranged with me.
10. Though there is wireless internet available, it is metered so no streaming please. If you have a smart phone that constantly updates, please do not allow this over the wifi as it can eat up the broadband allocation here in a very short time and at great cost as our only digital connection to the outside world is by satellite.
11. The possession of illegal substances on the property is strictly prohibited.
12. Quiet time is from 9pm to 8am.
13. The off-grid power system can accommodate battery chargers for tablet, laptops, and cell phones but nothing else. For instance, hair dryers may not be used int he house. But you can use one in the gazebo and I can supply you with a hair dryer there if you need one.
14. Not recommended for children eight and under.
Finally, we do not have any facilities to cater for infants and toddlers.
From May 21, 2017 - May 21, 2019 the minimum stay is 2 nights.
I live on the property and am happy to help in any way I can. Be it questions or recommendations or even if you just want me to stock the fridge for your arrival, just ask.
I operate a small nursery for rare and endangered palms.