This modern take on mountain cabin living is the perfect retreat for friends and families looking to find a place to get away and relax. Nestled in the Appalachian Mountains, the cabin is a quick trip from DC + Baltimore, but feels a world away.
The cabin is the best of both worlds - it's part of a larger group of cabins, so there's private security and important services (plowed roads in winter, for instance) but it's also set back into the forest, giving a sense of privacy and escape.
Get away from it all in this modern cabin at the base of Hedges Mountain bordering the 23,000 acre Sleepy Creek State Wildlife Area. Just 1 1/2 to 2 hours from DC and Baltimore, this modern take on mountain cabin living is the perfect retreat for friends and families looking to find a place to get away and relax in the Appalachian Mountains of Eastern West Virginia. You will enjoy over 1,000 sq. feet of comfortable cabin space and over an acre of forested property that backs up to the upslope of Hedges Mountain, abundant wildlife, and gorgeous foliage.
The cabin's open floor plan is perfect for entertaining with a large gourmet kitchen situated next to the Great Room's 18 foot vaulted ceiling. The cabin has 2 bedrooms, a reading room and 2 bathrooms, a screened-in porch and a 400 square foot deck - plenty of room to spread out and relax. The master bedroom and second bedroom both have queen-sized beds. The third bedroom has a fold-out full-sized futon couch that is sneakily comfortable. The great room includes a full-sized fold out couch for larger groups. The master bathroom features a jet tub, slate tile floors, and shower. The second bath has a classic tub, slate tile floors, and shower.
Listen to the soothing sounds of the wind rustling through the trees while you read a book in the vintage rocker of the Great Room. Or enjoy a morning coffee from a hammock looking through the forest and up the mountain.
A large wood deck wraps around connecting the rear screened-in porch with the main deck one step below. Gather your group together for a little morning yoga, followed by an afternoon lunch on the grill, and an evening by the fire pit - all while surrounded by the beautiful views of the forest.
The fully-equipped gourmet kitchen includes under-cabinet lighting, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances (including a full-sized oven and dishwasher), a traditional drip coffee maker, an espresso machine, a toaster oven, microwave, blender, waffle maker, crockpot and all the pots, pans, and utensils you'll need. The great room has a flat screen HDTV (with cable and a Chromecast to stream your favorite digital goodness), a stereo with speakers indoors and outdoors, and a beautiful brick fireplace for those chillier evenings. The cabin also features broadband internet for work or play plus a washer/dryer stack to handle your laundry.
The cabin sits in a prime location just minutes from Sleepy Creek Lake and the Potomac River, both great for boating and fishing. Cyclists will enjoy the wide open country roads, and the famous C&O Towpath and Western Maryland Rail Trail accessible in nearby Hancock, MD. The cabin is also 1-hour from skiing and snowboarding at Whitetail Resort.
Just 20 minutes away is historic Berkeley Springs, WV featuring natural hot spring baths frequented by George Washington. To the east 40 minutes is the quaint college town of Shepherdstown, WV. Both offer restaurants and shopping that are perfect day trips if you can pull yourself away from the natural beauty surrounding you. Martinsburg, WV is 20 minutes away, featuring the big box stores you might find useful, as well as rail access via Amtrak and MARC. Park your car in Martinsburg and take the train into DC for a day exploring museums and monuments without the hassle of finding that elusive parking spot!
The cabin's backyard is the Sleepy Creek State Wildlife Area, which contains excellent hiking, bird watching, and nature photography opportunities. Take a short 40-minute walk from the cabin to reach the top of Hedges Mountain - our dogs' favorite hike.
If golf is your passion, you're right in the middle of The Woods Resort, offering 36 holes of golf with a stellar view of the mountains. If a massage is more your thing, visit the full service spa just a 3-minute drive away.
My cabin is a very special escape - I hope you enjoy your stay and come again soon!
Guests have full access to the cabin's 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, outdoor deck, screened-in porch plus a modern kitchen with all the amenities.
Interaction with guests
Check-in is generally self-service using a lockbox, which allows for late arrivals when necessary. I'm always available for questions, usually within a few minutes.
Other things to note
Everything is waiting for you at the cabin... fresh linens, towels, cooking utensils... you name it. If you like anything very specific, go ahead and bring it, but I have most of the basics covered.
For holiday weekends, there is a 3 night minimum rather than the standard 2.
The cabin is a flexible space: great for entertaining a small gathering, a couples weekend or simply a romantic escape for 2.
A quick note on pets and allergies: I'm happy to host dogs of any size in your group - after all, I have a dog who sometimes comes out with me to the cabin (and loves it!). Although we thoroughly launder and clean the space after every visit, if you are particularly sensitive to animal dander (cats or dogs), your allergies might be triggered by the presence of animals past... just so you know in advance!
- You're welcome in any part of the house.
- Although the neighboring cabins are rarely occupied at the same time as you, please keep your late night noise at a reasonable level.
- The area is patrolled by security about once per hour, so don't be alarmed by late night traffic - it's the good guys!
- Dogs are welcome, but please be mindful of where they roam and what they're doing in the space - you're responsible for the little (or not so little) ones!
- Instructions for using the TV and WiFi are at the cabin. While we generally have service without interruption, I cannot guarantee either will be up for your entire stay.
- We get an amazing array of deer, birds and various critters that walk right through the property, especially around dusk... although it might be tempting, please don't feed them. Human food isn't ideal for wild animals.
- All fires in the fire pit should be doused before lights out because Smokey the Bear told me that was the rule back in 3rd grade. Please let fires in the fireplace burn down naturally.
- You're welcome to borrow any books on the shelves while you're staying, but please be sure to return them before you leave.
- The Woods Resort offerings available to you include golf (subject to tee availability) and the Spa at Sleepy Creek. Information and fees are available at The Woods website. The pool, tennis courts and other amenities are reserved for members, so unfortunately they aren't available.
- Please carefully review the checkout list when you depart... the most important things are to leave the cabin in as close to the same shape as it was when you left, take the garbage to the dumpster behind the rec building by the resort entrance, take all your unused food with you (thanks, but I don't need that ranch dressing or half eaten ice cream!), lock all doors and windows, and lock the key back in the keybox.
This host has 5 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
I'm an Empire State native who likes simplicity over complexity... music of all sorts (80s pop? old school hip hop? chillout lounge? sure!)... bike touring... an odd assortment of sports teams (Red Wings and Sabres hockey, Buffalo Bills football, my long-lost Sonics, and Syracuse University everything). I've walked an atypical path for someone with a law degree, and I wouldn't have it any other way.