What is Airbnb's Guest Refund Policy for stays?
If an issue comes up during your stay, the Guest Refund Policy is here to make sure the rest of your trip goes smoothly.
From last-minute host cancellations to incorrect number of rooms, issues with your stay can come in many shapes and sizes. For any eligible issue that severely impacts or prevents you from completing your stay, Airbnb will help put your trip back on track.
Situations that may be eligible for a refund under the Guest Refund Policy generally fall into one of two categories:
- Within 24 hours of check-in
For any eligible issue you notice upon check-in, contact us and we’ll rebook you an equal or better stay, or refund you 100% of your money.
- During your stay
For any other eligible issue that comes up later in your stay, contact us and we’ll partially refund or rebook you depending on the nature of the issue.
Eligible travel issues
The Guest Refund Policy features travel issues that are eligible for a refund and the minimum quality standards for every stay. Here are more details on what’s covered by the policy and how Airbnb can step in to help:
Host is non-committal or unresponsive
The host cancels the reservation during your trip, or they’re unresponsive or unable to resolve an issue at check-in.
This might include:
- Host cancels your reservation within 24 hours of check-in
- Host changes your reservation to another listing without your consent
- Host gives you the wrong lockbox code and cannot be reached
Place is not safe or clean upon arrival
The state of the space at time of check-in poses an immediate health or safety risk, requires a professional service to address the issue, or appears to have not been cleaned in between guests.
The issue might be:
- Severe allergic reaction
- Extreme mould
- Dirty linens
- Strong odours
- Vermin known to carry disease
- Poisonous and stinging insects
- Fleas or parasites
Listing description was inaccurate
Critical features that were described to you at the time of booking are flawed or not available.
An inaccuracy could be:
- Wrong number of rooms or beds
- Accessible features that were listed are missing
- Carbon monoxide detector featured on the listing is missing
Key amenities are missing
Amenities that were the central focus of the listing are missing, making the purpose of the stay impossible.
- Pool is in disrepair during the summer months
- Kitchen is under construction
- Furnace is broken during the winter
Submitting a claim
If you encounter a travel issue at any point during your trip and you’re the guest who booked the reservation on Airbnb, here’s what we’ll need from you when you contact us to submit a claim:
- Message or call Airbnb within 24 hours of noticing the travel issue
- Share photos or videos to document issues like dirty linens and incorrect access codes
- Remain available for us to reach you if we need to follow up with next steps
For more information on what’s covered by this policy, read the Guest Refund Policy Terms. If you experience any other issues during your stay that aren’t listed here, contact us day or night, wherever you are in the world.