Airbnb’s 5-step enhanced cleaning process
The 5-step cleaning process is a set of cleaning practices that all Hosts are required to follow between guest stays, in addition to local laws and guidelines.
Details on the best way to clean can be found in Airbnb’s cleaning handbook, which includes comprehensive cleaning checklists.
You can also find the handbook along with tips, videos and more by visiting Insights > Cleaning from your Hosting account on a web browser.
Step 1: Prepare
Proper preparation can help you and your team clean more efficiently and more safely. Make sure you:
- Ventilate the space before and during cleaning when possible
- Use disinfectants approved by your local regulatory agencies for use against COVID-19
- Always read the directions and warnings on your cleaning products carefully
- Wash or disinfect your hands
Step 2: Clean
Cleaning is removing dust and dirt from surfaces, such as floors and countertops. Make sure you:
- Sweep, vacuum, dust and/or mop areas before sanitising
- Wash dishes and laundry on the highest heat setting possible
- Wipe down hard surfaces with soap and water
Step 3: Sanitise
Sanitising is when you use chemicals to reduce bacteria on surfaces such as doorknobs and TV remotes. Be sure to:
- Spray high-touch surfaces in each room with an approved disinfectant spray
- Let the disinfectant stand for the length of time specified on the product label
- Allow the surface to air dry
Step 4: Check
Once you’re done sanitising, it’s a good idea to make sure you’ve not missed anything. Be sure to:
- Refer to the best practices in each room-by-room checklist in your handbook to make sure you haven’t missed a spot
- Share these best practices with your hosting team and cleaning professionals
Step 5: Reset
To help prevent cross-contamination, it's important to finish cleaning and sanitising a room before replacing items for the next guest:
- Wash your hands before replacing guest supplies, linen and cleaning kits
- Safely dispose of or wash cleaning supplies and protective gear
- Don’t re-enter a room once it’s been sanitised
- Clean your equipment between each turnover
Required for all Hosts
Hosts who don’t agree to our COVID-19 safety practices, including the 5-step enhanced cleaning process, will not be allowed to host.
These practices also require mask wearing and social distancing when mandated by local laws or guidelines.
Hosts who repeatedly or severely violate cleaning standards may be subject to warnings, suspensions and, in some cases, may have their accounts removed from Airbnb.
- GuestYour health and wellbeing are important to us. Become familiar with safety tips and guidelines around your health during the COVID-19 pandem…
- If you're thinking about becoming an Airbnb Host, here's some information to help you understand the laws in your city.
- HostWe offer help for Airbnb Hosts to familiarise themselves with hosting responsibilities, and to provide a general overview of different laws,…